About the Bledsoe Public Library  
 
 

 

The Bledsoe County Public Library, a small but first-rate facility, maintains a collection of materials for residents of all ages. Everything from bestselling novels to genealogy information fills the shelves. We are associated with the Tennessee State Library and Archives through the Falling Water River Regional Library.

       Overseeing the library’s operation is a Board of Trustees, made up of county residents who serve three-year terms. Current board members are: Becky Cook, chairperson; Tim Campbell, vice chairperson; Dulci Corvin, treasurer; Lynne Swafford Emiren, secretary; Ray Evans, Patsy Morgan and Kathie Britt. The board has public meetings once each quarter, on the second Monday in September, December, March and June. All meetings are open to the public.

            The library director is Carolyne Knight, with Veronica Douglas as library assistant.

            The Bledsoe County Public Library has changed greatly since it was established July 7, 1952, by the Bledsoe County Quarterly Court. With only about 100 books and a $624 yearly budget, the library opened in the top floor of the board of education office. After several moves throughout the years, a new building was constructed with county, state and federal funds, as well as local donations. The library opened January 18, 1993, at its present-day location on the corner of Cumberland Ave. and Frazier St., near the county courthouse.

            Directing the library throughout the years have been: Martha Ross Lee, Nelda Turner, Elizabeth Royal, Willela Douthat, Flo Swafford, Jean Aiken and Carolyne L. Knight.

 
   
   
   
 
 

(423) 447-2817 tel,  (423)447-3002 fax,   E-mail

 
     
 

© 2005 [Bledsoe County Public Library]. All rights reserved     design: Kneelindesign